Sunday, January 07, 2007

With apologies to Barack Obama




There's one word that keeps popping up in my life lately; for example, in two of the CDs I got for Christmas: Love Loss Hope Repeat and Begin to Hope. Then today, I spent the afternoon on the second floor of the MFA, and came across the painting at left - Hope by Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones.

Then, of course, there's Barack Obama's new book, the title of which I appreciate. It is a very audacious thing to look at the world honestly, and still hope. So of course, I'm paying homage to the idea by...titling a mix CD after it. Here' s the playlist.

The Audacity of Hope

1. Ciega, Sordomuda - Shakira
2. Portions for Foxes - Rilo Kiley
3. February - Dar Williams
4. Hotel Song - Regina Spektor
5. Speechless - Girlyman
6. Love Loss Hope Repeat - Carbon Leaf
7. The Hard Way - Michelle Shocked
8. Troubled Times - Fountains of Wayne
9. Life is Sweet - Maria McKee
10. Easy People - the Nields
11. On the Radio - Regina Spektor
12. I Like It - Dixie Chicks
13. More Adventurous - Rilo Kiley


Now for a song that's not on this CD - "As Cool As I Am" by Dar Williams. I knew there was a video for this song, but I could never watch it properly the various places it was posted. Now, however, it's on YouTube, so I'm putting it below. I don't know how I feel about all the cutaways to lyrics, but I really love the end, and also the part where she's dancing in the hallway.


No comments: