Monday, January 01, 2007

The blank calendar ahead

"Personally, I love the false promise of the New Year."

-Dar Williams at the Somerville Theatre, December 10, 2006


As usual, I agree with the venerable Ms. Williams. It's not that 2006 was so bad. On the contrary, as it progressed, I became progressively happier and more content. Being content, however, is its own pitfall, which is how I formed one of my New Year's resolutions. I usually make one concrete and one abstract resolution. Last year's abstract one (to be more aware) led to this year's concrete one, to meditate every day. Yes, it is New Age-y, but I feel much better when I let my mind be quiet for ten minutes. My abstract resolution is to be more adventurous (or its flip side, to be less safe). Because honestly, why the hell not? When I actually look at what I have to lose, it's usually not much. And I should definitely be used to embarrassing myself by now.

I read Life of Pi, and a conversation about it with a friend did save me from hating it, but it's definitely not one of my favorites. Right now I'm working on The Second Sex alongside the collected Strangers in Paradise by Terry Moore, which my dear friend Clare lent to me, and in which I am utterly absorbed. Finally, I am starting to read comic books. I want to thank Clare publicly for her persistence in this campaign.

I want to put a picture here of one of my favorite corners in the world, Bardstown Road and Longest Avenue in Louisville, which I got to visit on Saturday. Heine Brothers' Coffee, Ramsi's Cafe, and Carmichael's Bookstore...seriously, I could live in a tent there and be happy.

Happy New Year to all! I hope the sense of possibility that accompanies the arbitrary date change redeems itself.

No comments: