Wednesday, July 12, 2006

If on a summer's morning a commuter

Currently making my curious way through If on a winter's night a traveler. Near the beginning of the book Calvino lists several categories of Books You Haven't Read, including:
Books You Mean to Read But There Are Others You Must Read First
Books You've Been Hunting for Years Without Success (maybe less common in the age of Amazon.com?)
Books That Fill You With Sudden, Inexplicable Curiosity, Not Easily Justified

This book itself belongs to Books You've Been Planning to Read for Ages, and I'm glad I am now. I generally like books about the nature of reading (unless they cross the pretentious line). The "novel" unfolds into permutations, becomes "an instrument, a channel of communication, a rendezvous."

I was taking a break from reading this morning on the commuter train to watch some people on the bottom part of the car read. I guess I never realized how much I love to watch other people read (though I'm certainly in the right job right now to do that). There was a boy about eleven reading To Kill a Mockingbird while his nearsighted dad peered at a WWI history. Behind them, a woman in her early thirties was halfway through Emma. The world can't be totally on the rocks when people are still reading Harper Lee. Scenes like this also bolster my opinion that the book will survive. No matter how much digital media engulf communication, nothing will surpass the intimacy of the handheld volume.

Has anyone reading this (?) read A Handful of Dust? I read it and was so put off. I loved Brideshead Revisited, but this book felt like it had no heart. I guess books have to have a little bit of a heart for me to appreciate them.

1 comment:

Clare said...

Haven't read A Handful of Dust OR Brideshead Revisited... but that's cuz I'm a loser. Plus I don't have an hour commute on public transport each way every day in which to read, lucky city girl that you are. Advertisement reads: SWF (Southern white female) ISO Pub Trans for reading, saving environment together & peace of mind. Grr..... Miss you lots, my love. Never read Calvino, but i will now. Oh, and i heartily agree that when on a summer's day one finds not one but many commuters reading classics made of of good old-fashioned papers, there is still hope in the world. Thanks for being part of that hope. Keep reading!