Thursday, August 16, 2007

Falling in love again

Holy crap, it's been almost a month..again. I have some excuses; I had the flu (or something); I went to my sister's wedding in Chicago; etc.

Our title this time comes from some old song we used to listen to in the car. My dad was big on swing and big band; I think the version we used to listen to was by Linda Ronstadt. You know how it goes: "Falling in love again; what am I to do? ...never wanted to; I can't help it."

Lately, I've been falling back in love. Like, for example, with Dar Williams' first commercially released album, The Honesty Room. I listened to it a lot last week, and though I can hear how she's grown in a lot of ways since then, those songs are so well-written and well-done. Like "The Great Unknown," this anti-nuclear song that could feel outdated, but doesn't, and the way she calls love "a storm in a shadowbox." Anyway, I recommend it.

I forgot, too, how much I love the Pioneer Valley, where I went to college. I went there with my friend Amy this Sunday, who's never been there, and I got to see everything again, and realize how beautiful it is, and how much happened to me there.

I start class again after Labor Day, and I've got a lot to do before then. I'm going to start a new job (we'll be delving into the world of academic reference this time!), and I've got to move out of my lovely summer sublet. This summer, I've been working - that's it - but I always feel so busy. It makes me wonder how the people I know with other responsibilities - like children, for example - get anything done whatsoever, or have any measure of peace. Perhaps they watch fewer expurgated Sex & the City reruns on TBS. Whatever. As long as I finish both the books I started recently (The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai; Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides), I'll be golden. Of course, I did buy two used ones at the Book Mill - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and a book of Phillis Wheatley's poems. There should be another law of thermodynamics about the proportion of books bought to books read (and books checked out for months from BPL).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth,
Hello! I'm a friend of Ania's from UVA. She directed me to your blog a few months ago when I mentioned I'd be trying to get into library or museum work out in LA. I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your posts; that is, they sound much like what I would write if I ever got around to blogging (soon hopefully). I think I may have mentioned to her the other day (her b-day) that you hadn't updated in a while. Anyway, I like it. Keep it up :-)
Best,
John J.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks, John! It's always good to know people are reading. Once classes start, I'm sure I'll start talking about library stuff more.

Clare said...

phyllis wheatley! wtf? flipping christians. i don't care if she WAS a black woman. anyhoo.

i miss you. jus' ranting. please excuse.