Monday, August 07, 2006

Curiosity.



A magician came to the Newberry yesterday. He had huge spiky blond hair, and a kind voice, and reminded me of Ryan, a mutual friend of many of my friends. He asked to look at some old science, pseudoscience, and witchcraft works, and later he came out of the reading room, got on his cell phone, and said, "Dude, did you get my text message about Discoverie of Witchcraft?" His wife had come in to look at some really beautiful calligraphy samples. I also paged something out of the artifacts cage, which doesn't happen very often. Basically, it was a day of quirks in the collection, and readers who were both excited about and respectful of what they had in their hands.

Then I had a very frustrating train ride, on an incredibly full train - ended up at home at 8:30 (I got off work at 5), and nearly had a panic attack getting off. But I pulled it together and my aunt, sister, and I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest. The three main characters in this movie are so good-looking it's hard to concentrate on anything else, but it was quite enjoyable. I generally find Keira Knightley annoying, but I like Elizabeth Swann a lot.

Here are two things that Jack says to Elizabeth. I enjoy them. (I have a temporary obsession with this movie.)

"You know, these clothes do not flatter you at all. It should be a dress or nothing. I happen to have no dress in my cabin."

"One word love; curiosity. You long for freedom. You long to do what you want to do because you want it. To act on selfish impulse. You want to see what it's like. One day you won't be able to resist."

No comments: